Fast rate of a life… huge amount of information… long-lasting psychological tension… it’s useless to deny that stress has become our constant companion and a norm of life. We are always aware of our physical health and do not pay much attention to the psychological and emotional state. Still many scientists are sure that most diseases are caused by nervous instability. Let’s figure out the nature of stress and how exactly we can avoid it.
It is important to know that stress has a different effect on every person. For some people stress is a means to mobilize energy. Another person being in the state of tension is not able to show good results. What determines our reaction to stress? Our personal qualities? Not really. The answer is in biology. Legend says that Alexander the Great loved to check candidates for warlords position. During a party Alexander raised his hand with a sword on a person and watched his reaction. The one whose face was white with fear didn’t pass this exam. If a person was flushed with anger, it meant that he was brave and fit the position. But Alexander didn’t know that hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline are responsible these reactions.
Scientists have found that epinephrine and norepinephrine production varies in each of us. They divided people into different types depending on the predominant hormone:
• Rabbits – people whose organism produces adrenaline even when the stress rate is low. They are very susceptible to anxiety. “Rabbits” are extremely responsible and unable to “forget” about work even when they are having a rest. These people are prone to stroke, hypertension, depression and nervous breakdowns .
• Lions – people of norepinephrine type . They easily cope with stressful situations. “Lions” are ambitious, they have the strong character and they are always purposeful. However, it is difficult to unwind for them, which can lead to aggression and unpleasant experiences.
• Mixed type. People of mixed type have increased rate of adrenaline and noradrenaline. They are very emotional, artistic, love attention . People of mixed type tend to quick changes of the mood. Nervous exhaustion and insomnia are frequent problems of such people.
As you can see, the reaction to stress is very different. Obviously, methods of fighting with stress differs for each type mentioned above. Extreme sports will help “Rabbits” suffering from an excess of stress hormone. Parachute jumping and climbing, snowboarding and scuba diving these are great opportunities to get away from the monotonous work and get bright emotions. Do not forget to consult with your doctor before choosing the anti-stressful activity! Internal tension of “Lions” will be removed with the help of physical but not emotional stress. Your salvation is in active sports such as swimming and running. Also it’s useful to go to the gym regularly. These measures will decrease aggression and reduce the possibility of nervous breakdowns. Representatives of the mixed type are constantly fighting with conflicting emotions and strong impressions. Such people mustn’t further expose themselves to physical and emotional stress. Meditation and such spiritual practices as yoga will bring harmony into your life. Be sure to follow the regime and do not neglect the quiet walks in the fresh air.
However there are cases when simple stress relief schemes do not work. In this case, you can try to fight with stress with the help of new methods.
1. Laughter therapy is one of the most popular techniques for removing and preventing stress. In some countries it is used for the treatment of sexual disorders. There are “Clubs of Laughter Therapy.” Sessions are held in the open air, they are free of charge and are very popular.
2. Scream therapy. The reason for the effectiveness of scream therapy is simple. The so-called hormone of happiness (endorphin) is produced by means of creaming. Besides, this hormone is a natural analgetic. Scientists believe that even ten seconds of loud scream are enough to get rid of the tension.
3. Aromatherapy. Essential oils have been known since ancient times for its healing properties. In addition, they are able to help our body to fight against various sources of stress. Oil of bergamot, lemon balm or lemon will help you to calm down. In order to reduce the level of emotional stress, use jasmine, ylang- ylang and Neroli oil. If you need to cheer up , get help from clary sage, geranium and rosemary oils. Lavender, marjoram and rose oils have a relaxing effect. Massage with essential oils is the most reliable way to achieve the desired effect. Aromatic baths and inhalation are also very effective in fighting with stress. But, infants, the elderly, asthmatics and future mothers should avoid taking any essential oils.
4. Art therapy is one of the safest methods of dealing with stress. It has no health or age restrictions. This method is often used to fight with fear, timidity, internal aggression, and to express emotion, which are not shared with anyone. The effectiveness of art therapy is achieved by helping the individual to express feelings through art, and to see these emotions clearly. This approach helps to understand the nature of emotions and get rid of stressful state.
As you can see, fighting with stress can be very enjoyable. After all, we have a big amount of methods to become happier and healthier. Choose the most appropriate! The main thing – do not miss a moment! Otherwise, you are risking to have serious psychiatric disorders, which can be solved only with the help of specialists. Be healthy!
About the author: A wonderful writer Melisa Marzett works on such topics as fashion, beauty and health. She will gladly contact with you on Google+. Other essays written by Melisa can be found at quality essay.
People have asked me if they could do a guest post on my blog. And I want to apologize for not getting back to you much sooner. I have been busy doing a variety of projects and working, so now I am putting aside some time to write to all of you. If you would like to do a guest post here, please send me an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are someone I already know from bloggers, or wordpress, then just send me your post and a link to your blog and I will look it over. And don’t forget to add a photo with it.
These are my Rules for Guest Posting On This Blog
1. Make the content interesting and exciting.
2. Use a good sense of humor if you can on the post.
3. It has to be related to Health, Fitness, Blogging and Deaf Topics. I’m sure you can come up with something.
4. Your post needs to please the readers. If it is boring and is too long, or doesn’t make sense, I can’t use it here.
5. Make sure it is in english.
6. I can only post some of them, as I am very picky. And I want to keep this blog in good shape.
7. I am looking forward to working with you and to helping you get more visitors this way.
8. If you are someone I don’t know, please email me your ideas first before writing a post. I need to make sure I can use your ideas on this blog.
9. To get in touch with me, just email me at email@example.com. Or, send me a comment on my last post.
8. Good Luck! 🙂
When I drive, my music is usually playing, and it is pretty loud. Therefore I cannot hear anything that is going on outside of the car. Even when it’s off, I cannot hear the police siren behind me. Usually I am looking at the mirrors every five minutes to see if anyone is driving too close . That’s one way how I find out of there happens to be a cop behind me.
If someone is blowing their car horn at me, I can’t hear it unless they honk it more than 3 times. Sometimes when the other driver is honking at you, they will give you an angry wave if you don’t respond to their beeping . It would be helpful if all deaf people would keep a deaf visor card in their car.
I put a Visor Card in my car so that if a cop ever pulls me over, it explains that I am hard of hearing so that the cop will know. It also tells the cop how to communicate with me properly. What I could use is a big waterproof sticker that says I’m deaf and stick it on the back of my car. And one for the front too if needed. Except I don’t know where to get these things. I hope someday someone will invent these kind of stickers for the deaf drivers to help keep them safe on the road.
- Mirror, (hand) signal, manoeuvre: Meet the driving instructor teaching deaf people to drive through sign language (menmedia.co.uk)
- Why New York Doesn’t Need ‘Don’t Honk’ Signs (motherboard.vice.com)
Sue is completely deaf. She is unable to speak or to use her voice. She communicates using her hands in sign language or by writing. One day, she was walking across the street and a cop was telling her to wait for the car to pass by first. She didn’t hear him, so she kept going. He used the whistle to try to get her to stop and to turn around. Nope, she continued on and didn’t hear a thing. Before she knew it, she was handcuffed and thrown inside the police car. She had no idea what happened or what she did wrong. She was in the back and the cop was talking but did not face her. She still had no idea why she was arrested and she was unable to speak for herself as she was handcuffed with her hands behind her back. There was no way the cop was going to be able to get any feedback from her, if she couldn’t use her hands. She did not know how to speak. As he was driving her to the jail, Sue cried hopelessly. Once they got there, she was hoping she could call her parents on the TTY. She had no chance to do that because the cop was fed up with her not answering any of his questions so he threw her into a locked up room alone. And she was left there alone with no way out.
Mary is a quiet hard of hearing lady, that was being driven to the jail also by another cop. She had no idea why they arrested her, as she couldn’t understand what the authorities told her as she couldn’t lip read what they said. She walked inside the jail and saw Sue come out of the room they locked her up in. Sue was still in handcuffs and crying. Mary knew this deaf girl, and couldn’t understand why she was there. Mary was having a hard time herself being there, not knowing why. She wears two hearing aids and was worried that once her batteries go dead, she won’t be able to hear at all. She didn’t have extra batteries with her for her hearing aids. And she didn’t think the jail staff would provide her hearing aid batteries while she was there. It was unheard of, not many deaf people in jail these days. So she got upset thinking about this because soon she will go completely deaf if not being provided new hearing aid batteries soon.
Mary wanted to speak to Sue and ask her why she was there. Unfortunately, Sue was in handcuffs and was unable to use her hands to use sign language. This made Mary very upset, because she noticed Sue had no way of communicating with anyone for what she needed, and this was an innocent deaf girl. Sue looked at Mary hopelessly from the jail and cried, she can’t speak, so she was having a hard time. Now this is sad and very scary. Mary could not figure out what to do , and the staff in the jail did not know they were deaf. Sue had no way of telling the staff she was deaf, since she was in handcuffs. Finally Mary asked to speak to the person in charge and explained to them they needed interpreters. The people there were shocked, they had no idea Sue could not speak and that she was deaf. This is one terrible nightmare for these two girls. Let me stop here, this never happened. This is something someone had a bad dream about and brought this story up. But things similar to this made up story have happened in real life. Now , there are groups out there that are going to help the community learn more about how to speak with deaf people. Are they planning on going to the jails and to teach the people there about deaf people’s communication needs? Are they going to educate the cops better about deaf individuals? They need it , that’s for sure.